Grab bars are the type of bars that are easily installed in tub, shower, and toilet areas of a bathroom, enabling you to maneuver much easier and safer in the spaces. They provide support when you need it, whether to stand safely or move between sitting and standing positions. At Hartmobility, we offer Kratos grab bars that provide you with a sturdy, comfortable grip exactly where and when you need it. These bathroom grab bars feature SafetyGrip® technology and a configurable installation designed to enhance the safety of the user.
Commonly you will find grab bars in locations such as hospitals, handicap bathroom stalls, tubs, and showers. However, grab bars are not simply devices installed in commercial locations such as hospitals or handicapped bathroom stalls. They are ideal to install in the home.
How and Where to Install Grab Bars for Bathroom Spaces
It is important to install grab bars in the most convenient and safest area in the bathroom, including the tub and shower areas. In addition, grab bars should have the capacity to handle the forces placed upon them by people pushing and pulling on them. This requires a strong attachment to the wall, typically via wall stud connections. Proper placement of grab bars may be accomplished by having all members of the family stand inside the shower and simulate where they need to reach and grab for optimum support.
Shower Stall Grab Bar Placement
Some guidelines for placing grab bars in a shower stall area include:
- Install the horizontal bar against the side wall about 36 inches above the floor or a couple of inches lower.
- Install the vertical entrance grab bar near the shower door jam.
- Install a vertical grab bar on the end wall with the , at a height comfortable for use while showering. Parallel grab bars on either side of the shower head are even better, ensuring a firm handhold is available throughout showering..
Tub/Shower Combo Area Grab Bar Placement
Some guidelines for placing grab bars in a shower/bathtub combination area include:
- Install a horizontal grab bar on the side wall and make the length of the bar as long as possible. The bar should be installed approximately 30 inches higher than the tub floor.
- Install a vertical entrance bar on the wall directly opposite of the faucet.
- Install a vertical grab bar on the end wall with the faucet , at a height comfortable for use while showering. Parallel grab bars on either side of the shower head are even better, ensuring a firm handhold is available throughout showering
Toilet Area Grab Bar Placement
Ideally, it is beneficial to place one grab bar next to the toilet in a horizontal position on each wall, about 33 to 36 inches above the floor. Alternatively, when there is no side wall available for grab bar placement, the Kratos Bia hinged grab bar may be attached to the wall behind the toilet, on either or both sides of the tank.
The installation of bathroom grab bars at various key locations can reduce the chances that you or a loved one will fall and sustain injury when maneuvering within this often used space in the home.
Purchase Kratos grab bars online. Or, if you have any questions about the Kratos grab bars for elderly and other individuals we offer, call us today at 800.998.0774 or drop us a message using our contact form.